This is an Idea and not something inside standard.
Most people have used Data Import/Export Framework for importing journals. It has been a big help and in this post I will discuss an idea that I think Microsoft should consider to develop. I leverage the DIXF framework for importing a general journal and making it flexible.
Below is a screenshot of how simple it looks. I got dialog front end that has been created to run DIXF entities both import from source to staging, then staging to target in one shot.
These are some additional considerations here for this to work:
- Default journal name - this can be done by configuring the mapping from source to staging
- Default journal number – this is something to be done in code
- Default line number – this is something to be done in code
- Default currency from the company – this is something to be done in code or configuration. I prefer to do it in code.
- Default the dimensions – this is something to be done in code
- Clean up periodic job to be run on a regular basis for DIXF staging clean up
- Error/info messages can be a little more friendly – i used the log table information and display that in an infolog
For more information to use DIXF for importing general journals you can refer to a recent blog post.