Skip to main content

Dynamics AX 2012–How to investigate SSRS errors

Recently I was investigating an issue when printing customer statements, randomly I was getting errors. The error wasn’t really helpful as it gave a generic error in the infolog. So, in this post I will explain how to investigate SSRS errors and hope it helps others out there.

What is the Error

An error occurred rendering the report. Accessing the report server URL  caused an error. The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Microsoft.Dynamics.Ax.Xpp.ErrorException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Dynamics.Ax.Xpp.ErrorException' was thrown.
   at Dynamics.Ax.Application.SrsPrintMgmtController.Outputreports() in SrsPrintMgmtController.outputReports.xpp:line 96
   at Dynamics.Ax.Application.CustAccountStatementExtController.Runprintmgmt() in CustAccountStatementExtController.runPrintMgmt.xpp:line 129

2016-03-31_1122

Step 1 – Check SSRS log files

The first place is obviously the event viewer. That generally won’t give that much more information from my experience when it comes to SSRS.

So, first thing is to find the SSRS log file and do a search for “Error”. Log files sit somewhere here

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS11.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\LogFiles

This date and time lines up with when the error occurred in AX.

Error: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\axservice\AppData\Local\Temp\tnxa1quh.out' because it is being used by another process.

2016-03-31_1130

Step 2 – Find what process is causing the error

Now that we know it is an access issue the next thing is to find what process is causing the lock.

Download the process monitor and run the executable. This will create a large files. So I have been clearing every few minutes until I got the error.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

2016-03-31_1117

Step 3 – Eliminate the problem and test again

By the above I can see one of the processes trying to access the file is SearchProtocolHost.exe (Windows Search Index). So, next step is to stop it.

This should never really be set up on a server. It just consumes resources for no reason. What I found on this is that it was configured to index the c:/users folder.

2016-03-31_1100_001

I would actually uninstall it.

2016-03-31_1115

This could have been antivirus or other process locking the file. Maybe folder permission issue. What ever the error these steps should help you diagnose the problem.

Popular posts from this blog

AX - How to use Map and MapEnumerator

Similar to Set class, Map class allows you to associate one value (the key) with another value. Both the key and value can be any valid X++ type, including objects. The types of the key and the value are specified in the declaration of the map. The way in which maps are implemented means that access to the values is very fast. Below is a sample code that sets and retrieves values from a map. static void checkItemNameAliasDuplicate(Args _args) { inventTable inventTable; Map map; MapEnumerator mapEnumerator; NameAlias nameAlias; int counter = 0; ; map = new Map(Types::String, Types::Integer); //store into map while select inventTable { nameAlias = inventTable.NameAlias; if (!map.exists(nameAlias)) { map.insert(nameAlias, 1); } else { map.insert(nameAlias, map.lookup(nameAlias) + 1); } } //retrieve fro

AX - How to use Set and SetEnumerator

The Set class is used for the storage and retrieval of data from a collection in which the values of the elements contained are unique and serve as the key values according to which the data is automatically ordered. You can create a set of primitive data types or complex data types such as a Class, Record or Container. Below is sample of a set of records. static void _Set(Args _args) {     CustTable       custTable;     Set             set = new Set(Types::Record);     SetEnumerator   setEnumerator;     ;     while select custTable     {         if (custTable && !set.in(custTable))         {             set.add(custTable);         }     }     if (!set.empty())     {         setEnumerator = set.getEnumerator();         setEnumerator.reset();         while (setEnumerator.moveNext())         {             custTable = setEnumerator.current();             info(strfmt("Customer: %1",custTable.AccountNum));         }     } } Common mistake when creating a set of recIds

Import document handling (attachment) files #MSDyn365FO

Out of the box you have limited data entities for migrating attachments. If you search what is already in the AOT, you will see a few various examples. I suggest you look at the LedgerJournalAttachmentsEntity as it is the simplest and cleans to copy from. I wont go into detail but I will give a quick run down of what it looks like. Use the DocuRefEntity as your main datasource. It does most of the work for you. Set your table you want to import for as the child datasource Add the Key You will need to add the postLoad method. There is minor code to update the virtual field FileContents. Below is an export I did for the general journal attachments. The import zip structure should be the same way. It will create the usual artifacts such as the excel, manifest and package header xml files. You will see a Resources folder under that. If you drill down to the resources you will see the attachments. This is an export and it used the document GUID for uniqueness. The other thing is the extensi